1 1/2 cups sugar
6 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 large sponge cake
1 cup sherry
Slivered toasted almonds
Chopped marashino cherries
1. Beat eggs in saucepan until light; add sugar and milk.
2. Cook over low heat until mixture coats spoon, stirring constantly; add vanilla.
3 . Cool; refrigerate until chilled.
4. Break cake into small pieces; place half the cake in large casserole. Sprinkle with half the sherry; add half of custard.
5. Add layer of almonds, then cherries. Repeat layers; cover with whipped cream.
6. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.