2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
3 cups soft bread crumbs (3 to 4 slices bread)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350-degrees.
2. Heat milk and butter over medium heat until butter is melted and milk scalded.
3. Mix remaining ingredients in ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole; stir in milk mixture.
4. Place casserole in pan of very hot water (1 inch deep).
5. Bake until knife inserted 1 inch from edge of pudding comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
6. Serve warm.