1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons water
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups flour
6 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
crushed Heath bars
1. Trace an 8 inch circle on a piece of waxed paper, using a cake pan as a guide. Cut out 7 waxed paper rounds by the pattern.
2. Heat oven to 375 F. Have 2 cookie sheets and an 8 inch springform pan ready.
1. Whisk cocoa, water, egg and vanilla in a small bowl until blended and smooth.
2. In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat butter and sugar about 3 minutes until pale and fluffy.
3. Beat in cocoa mixture (batter may look curdled).
4. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour until well blended (batter will be very stiff).
5. Spread the 7 rounds of waxed paper out on countertop. Drop a level 1/3 cup of batter in center of each round. Divide remaining 1/3 cup batter among rounds (about 2 teaspoons each).
6. Moisten a cookie sheet with water. Place 2 waxed paper rounds on cookie sheet (the water will stop them from slipping).
7. Spread batter almost to edges of rounds.
8. Bake 8 minutes or until surface looks dry and set but is slightly springy to the touch. (While first batch bakes, spread out batter for next 2 layers.) Cool baked layers on cookie sheet on wire rack 3 minutes. Then transfer waxed paper and brownie from cookie sheet directly onto wire rack. Let cool completely.
9. Bake and cool remaining layers. Meanwhile,line springform pan with plastic wrap, letting enough wrap extend over sides of pan to cover top when filled.
10. Peel waxed paper off cooled brownie layers. Place 1 layer in bottom of pan. Spread evenly with 1 cup ice cream.
11. Top with another brownie layer, then another cup ice cream.
12. Repeat with 5 more brownie layers and the ice cream, ending with a brownie layer on top.
13. Fold plastic wrap over top and freeze at least 8 hours, or wrap airtight and freeze up to 1 month.
14. To serve: Remove sides of pan and peel plastic wrap down from sides. Lift cake off plastic wrap onto serving plate. Garnish as desired.