2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoon shortening, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups quick-cooking oats
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and salt.
1. Heat oven to 375-degrees.
2. Mix sugar, shortening, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten cookies with glass dipped in water to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
3. Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Immediately remove from baking sheet.
5. Store in tightly covered container.