1/2 cup salt pork, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 large onion, diced
1 quart milk
3 cups corn kernels (fresh, canned, or frozen)
lack pepper to taste
5 medium potatoes, pared and cubed
Saltines or soda crackers
1. Cook the diced salt pork over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, so that all of the pork pieces become brown but not too dry. Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon.
2. Saute the onion in the pork fat just until tender, but not brown.
3. Add the water, corn, potatoes and salt, cooking, uncovered, until the potatoes are almost soft.
4. Add the milk and simmer very gently for 10 to 15 minutes to let the flavor ripen.
5. Taste for seasoning, adding a good bit of freshly ground pepper.
6. Sprinkle the surface with the salt pork and serve with a large supply of soda crackers.