1 red cabbage, about 2 lbs.
2 tablespoon bacon fat or butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 tablespoon vinegar
salt and pepper
2 cooking apples, peeled, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
16 or 20 pork sausages
1. Remove and discard outer leavers from cabbage; shred rest finely.
2. Heat fat in casserole; cook onion few minutes without burning.
3. Add cabbage; mix well. Add 1 cup water, vinegar, salt, and pepper; cover. Cook about 1 hour.
4. Add apple and sugar; cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Remove lid; boil if necessary to evaporate extra liquid.
6. Broil or bake sausages until brown. Serve with cabbage and mashed potatoes.