1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
4 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Melt butter in saucepan; remove 2 tablespoons butter and keep warm. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste.
2. Stir in half the milk; bring to a boil. Heat remaining milk; add to flour mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and salt.
3. Cook and stir until thickened and smooth.
4. Pour into serving bowl; keep warm.
5. Pour on reserved melted butter.
6. May be served with sugar, cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins, if desired.