5 lbs. pears, pared and sliced (about 10 cups)
1/4 cup water
3 cups packed brown sugar
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Cook pears in water until soft. Press through sieve or food mill to measure 6 cups pulp. (Or place in blender container. Cover and blend until uniform consistency.)
2. Mix pear pulp, sugar, lemon juice and nutmeg in 4-quart Dutch oven. Heat to boiling.
3. Boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, about 30 minutes.
4. Pour boiling mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; seal.
5. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
Makes: 5 or 6 half-pints