3/4 cup shortening (do not use butter, margarine, or lard)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs (large, do not use extra large or jumbo)
3 cups flour (regular or unbleached)
3/4 cup cocoa (baking cocoa in powder form, not bricks)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk (do not use skim)
2 teaspoons vanilla (extract, not flavoring)
pan spray (or shortening to coat baking pan)
1. Cream shortening and sugar in large mixing bowl.
2. Add eggs to creamed mixture.
3. Sift together all ingredients into medium-sized bowl.
4. Combine milk and vanilla and combine with the other ingredients. Continue to mix until all ingredients have been used and batter is well blended.
5. Spray (or coat) bottom and sides of pan unless making cupcakes, in which case insert cupcake papers into cupcake pans.
6. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the cake is done. Use a cake tester or a toothpick to test, should come out clean.
7. Allow to cool and then frost with your favorite frosting.