1 whole frying chicken (about 3 to 4 lbs)
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 head cabbage, cut into wedges
carrots, onions, celery, and potatoes to your liking
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2 cup milk
1. Place chicken in large pot; cover with water.
2. Add lemon juice, 1 carrot, 1 onion, and 1 cabbage wedge.
3. Bring to boil; then turn down heat, cover, and simmer
for about 45 minutes.
4. Remove vegetables from pot; finely chop or mash, and set
5. Add remaining carrots, onions, and potatoes; simmer until
vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
6. Add remaining cabbage and simmer another 15 to 20
7. Meanwhile, melt margarine; blend in flour and mustard.
Gradually stir in milk, mashed vegetables, and 1 cup
liquid from pot. Stirring constantly, bring to boil;
remove from heat.
8. Remove chicken and place on platter. Surround with
vegetables, and garnish with parsley, if desired.
9. Serve with mustard sauce from Step 7.