2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped blanched almonds
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Add salt to egg whites and beat until frothy.
2. Add sugar gradually, beating until mixture is stiff but not dry.
3. Add almond extract and fold in almonds gently.
4. Drop almond mixture on buttered and floured baking sheet by the teaspoon, shape into small mounds, leaving room between each mound.
5. Let stand 2 hours.
6. Bake at 375F for 12 minutes or until they are lightly brown in colour.
Amaretti may be kept in a sealed box for several days.