3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 package dried yeast
1 cup plus 3 ounces lukewarm water
1. Place the flour, yeast, salt, and ground cumin in a large mixing bowl. Blend well.
2. Add the water and mix the dough for 2 to 3 minutes, until all the water is absorbed and evenly distributed. The dough will be damp and very sticky, but no internal dry areas should appear by the end of the mixing. If they do, mix a few minutes more, or add a little more water and mix again.
3. Let the dough rest 5 minutes. Then sprinkle 1 or 2 tablespoons flour over the dough and knead, either in the bowl or on a lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic and only slightly sticky. Add more flour if needed (e.g. in humid weather).
4. Let the dough rest for 2 minutes more. The dough should be very smooth and easy to handle.
5. Knead 30 seconds more, return the dough to the bowl, cover the bowl with a dish towel or large plate, and let rise at room temperature for at least 3 hours; the dough should almost triple in size.
6. Flour the top of the dough lightly, punch it down, and remove the dough from the mixing bowl. Form the dough into a rectangular loaf and place in a well greasad loaf pan, 9-1/4 in. by 5-1/4 in. by 2-3/4 in. Cover with a towel and let rise 1 hr., until nicely risen.
7. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 35 minutes, until browned on top; the bottom of the bread should sound hollow when tapped with the finger. Let the bread cool, then serve.